Monday, January 21, 2008

The diving bell and the butterfly ~ Jean-Dominique Bauby


Hee... another book review...
In December 1995, Jean-Dorminique Bauby, the 43 year old editor of French Elle, suffered a massive stroke that left him completely and permanently paralyzed, a victim of "locked in syndrome." Once known for his gregariousness and wit, Bauby now finds himself imprisoned in an inert body, able to communicate only by blinking his left eye. The miracle is that in doing so he was able to compose this stunningly eloquent memoir.
P/S: I'm simply amazed by how strong a human spirit can be, that in such condition, he can still composed a memoir.
It was a very tedious effort becos someone have to read out the alphabets one by one and he uses his left eye to convey which letter or word he wanted to compose! Amazing!
This memoir is now being made into a movie and now showing at GV cinema.
Hmm.. i should get my Advance medical directive sign soon.
If this situation happens to me, don't think i will be able to be this strong, was chatting with my brother that day, if i got a stroke one day that rendered me bed-bound & speechless --- Stop feeding me... but not sure whether or not he will get into trouble with the law. If i leave it as a clause in my will, will it be helpful?

No comments: