Monday, September 29, 2008

Work matters.

It was my turn to work again on saturday, 27 september. It was a pretty peaceful morning but we received a case near knocking off time and we had to treat this gentleman that day so a group of us stayed back to help him.

He suffered from prostate cancer which have spread to the bones, and the tumour is now compressing on his spinal cord and he had lost sensation & power over his lower limbs for the past 48hrs, we called this cord compression.

To help him, the doctors will have to give radiation to the affected area, hoping to shrink the tumour to relieve the compression and hopefully this patient is able to regain sensation.

It took abt 1.5 hrs to finish treating him.

Upon completion of his 1st treatment and on his way back to the ward, he said to me,

" Thank you nurse. You have a good weekend ahead of you, be sure to watch F1, it's a big event for S'pore. I'm in the hospital and will have to miss it, wat a pity."

I almost said, " Not to worry sir, there is still next year." But these words didn't come out cos i suddenly remember that he might not survive till next year =(
He can't watch it in the TV room in the ward cos he can't walk. At that moment, I felt so sad.

This incident lingered in my head while i was watching F1 this weekend.

I really hope the radiotherapy treatment will work for him.

No comments: